Trochanteric Bursitis & Iliotibial Band Tendonitis

This is what the new rheumatologist is treating me for this time. The first one is a pissed-off sac of fluid on the ball of the femur causing intense pain and inflammation; eventually causing the other one. There's a big band of tendon that goes from the butt, to the front of the thigh, to behind the knee. This muscle is trying to get a divorce from the other since it's causing so much trouble in the family. So, I got two shots of steriods (one in the tender part of each hip). Tomorrow I get to start sitting on ice packs for 20 minutes twice a day, then heat on my thighs for the same. No stairs, lifting, bending, or squatting. Out of the chair for 3-5 minutes every hour. Get to go back on January 7 for a repeat of the same. He said as soon as we treat the bursa, then we can get started on the rest of it. Not really comfortable to think what that is going to be, but it depends heavily on how much damage has been done over the past 17 years of non-treatment...or at least treatment for something completely different.

It's been three hours since I got my shots and I think I'm going to waddle home early so sit on something soft.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are some really effective stretches you can do for this type of tendonitis. This is a good website: http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/2000/02_00/fredericson.htm

Good luck!
Ben at http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com

Quilted Memories said...

Thanks!!! I've been living with this (undiagnosed) for 17 years. I'm on strict inactivity restrictions, but as soon as I get the go ahead, I'll be visiting your site!!! Greatly appreciated!!!

My Stalkers