Drama - some have it, some can handle it...

I went to pick Benjamin up from school yesterday as usual. I was signing him out when I heard this horrendous scream that only a mom knows is her child. I turned around to see Benjamin with his hand to his head, tears streaming down his face, and the teacher in absolute terror. He'd apparently taken a header into the cement block gym wall creating an instantly bruised goose egg. Two things make this a major issue: 1 - Benjamin is a pussy when it comes to pain; 2 - The teacher's reaction made him panic.

This is not the first time we've experienced this exact incident...of course, the first time he was two, at a wedding, and apparently drinking wine from the head table. He took a header into a steel door jam when he lost his footing. Bob and his mom freaked. I had to take him outside away from them all to be able to assess the damage...what's your name, how old are you, can you stand up straight? I ended up having to take him to Children's Hospital ALONE (Bob was the DJ at the wedding, and I didn't need a 3-month old Cohen making things worse). He was fine.

Yesterday finally turned sensible when I got the teacher removed from his sight. The panic in her eyes was making him cry harder. I took off my sweater, wrapped the ice in it and stuck it on his head as I convinced him everything would be fine. I made sure to give detailed descriptions of what the process was going to be in order to see if he was following directions or disoriented. He got a drink of water and walked out fine. I'm either an insensitive bitch or can handle chaos.

2 comments:

tscrapper said...

Good job, Mama! Glad to hear that he's ok, too.

Quilted Memories said...

Thanks! Be lucky you have a girl! Benjamin is definitely my accident prone one...we're used to drama.

My Stalkers